Next On My List
The name of this site is “Next On My List” so I thought it appropriate to talk about the importance of keeping lists, how to organize lists and do it all efficiently.
When I talk about keeping lists, I am talking about keeping all the important things in your life in ONE place where you always know how to find what you have done in the past and need to do in the future.
I’m going to describe my method of keeping lists using the App “Notes” on my iPhone and iPad. You might be using Google Keep, OneNote, Evernote, or another app. The process will be the same. Where you store your lists is up to you.
When you start organizing yourself using lists, you start out with notes and reminders. Call it whatever you want. I use the terms “lists” and “notes” interchangeably. You will see why in a minute.
I don’t mean things I would put on my calendar like birthdays and appointments. I don’t even mean tax returns and birth certificates! I mean things that keep my life organized, easier, and efficient.
I started out years ago with a basket in the corner of a counter in my kitchen. It is only 12”x4”. I started putting every piece of paper or note in there that wasn’t an official document. It became “the place to find something important”. It was impossible to keep this organized.
Thank Goodness For the Cloud!!
Notes has a lot of features that work for me. When I hear something I want to remember, I quickly open Notes, create a new note and write it down. I quickly learned that I can have Titles for my notes which made the Lists – right?
I create and categorize lists for pretty much anything.
• TV shows and movies to watch
• Important Passwords – I can password protect passwords!
• Important “Tips”
• The list could go on – no pun intended.
How are all these Features helpful to my Lists?
- Put my lists into folders- This is important to me because I keep lists that I need for years. I plan a lot of holidays and menus. Instead of starting over each year, I have a resource to tell me not only what I served, but what went well and what I need to do differently.
- Scanning documents to my lists been invaluable when wanting to access official documents quickly or an important notice you received in the mail that you want to have access to at any time. – These can be password protected. I keep a folder here just for my parents with documents, Medicare, etc. This has been a life-saver.
- Adding photos & Videos. I know you can share these directly, but you all know you don’t just take photos of people. These are the photos and video you take shopping, on vacation to keep a list of ideas.
- Adding links from other sites is more than inserting links on a topic to a list. I have “lists” of links. I have a list of links to different resources on home decorating.
Add links to my Notes. This is different and new to me. When I find a gift or product on a site, I don’t have to copy and paste, I can just send it to my notes! I can create a new list or add it to an existing list. – LOVE THIS
- Making notes secure is huge. I don’t worry about putting passwords or files that contain personal information on a list. I can password protect it or use my fingerprint!
One of the features I love the most, is that I can make a note on my phone while shopping or at work, and later when I open my iPad, it is there in the same place, and I can continue working with it.
Lists don’t have to be long, they might just be a few words You may be having a conversation with someone and they mention a great series they are watching on Netflix. You immediately add that to your list that is categorized as “ Movies and TV Series”
I seriously have a list entitled, “Things to remember for Chuck” (my husband).
I don’t think there is an explanation needed here.
Let me know if there is an idea here that worked for you or if you would like more detailed examples of making lists.