Pie for dinner? You bet!
Who says comfort food is only for cold weather? Not true at our house.
I make all three of these easy, super delicious pies for dinner at any time of the year.
If you like to cook as I do, you need a few “go-to” recipes that you are confident will be a hit with everyone you are feeding.
Not only will they love the food, but they will be taking a second helping for sure.
(This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.)
Pin HERE to Save for Later
The Very Best Taco Pie
I have to admit this Taco Pie for dinner is on the top of the list for my whole family. I have been making this cheesy Mexican pie for many years and am never disappointed.
Taco pie is a family favorite that all three generations love, so we make it often. Starting with a Pilsbury Dinner Roll crust, layered with seasoned ground beef, sour cream, salsa, cheese, and crunchy Doritos. We all have our own favorite toppings.
- 1 pkg Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa ( I use chunky)
- Nacho Cheese Doritos ( family size)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- more cheese, etc
- Add a layer of refried beans or black beans over the salsa
- Add a can of green chilies or jalapenos on top of the salsa.
- Pre-heat oven to 350º
- Brown ground beef until pink is gone
- Add taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water to beef and simmer 5 minutes
- Mix 1/2 cup sour cream into beef mixture
- Pat and seal a pkg of Pilsbury Crescent rolls in a deep dish 10-inch pie pan
- Add a layer of crushed Dorito chips over the crust
- Layer beef mixture over chips.
- Spread 3/4 cup salsa over beef
- Add option ingredients ( refried beans, black beans, green chilies)
- Layer mozzarella and cheddar cheeses ( feel free to add extra)
- Top with another layer of Dorito Chips
- Bake 30 minutes or until the crust is brown.
- Let sit 10 minutes before slicing
- Cut into wedges and serve with toppings
- I often double this recipe and make it in an 11x13 pan to serve a hungry group
- DOUBLE ALL INGREDIENTS AND USE TWO PIE PLATES, or an 11 BY 13 PAN
- Use shredded chicken in place of ground beef
- Try Barbacoa Beef for awesome spice and flavor.
- Add sauteed slices of peppers and onions for fajita toppings
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 386Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 742mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g
Spaghetti Pie with Pepperoni
I promise Spaghetti Pie for dinner will be a hit for kids and grown-ups of all ages. You can’t go wrong with pasta, tomato sauce, melted cheeses, and the salty tangy flavor of pepperoni.
This baked spaghetti pie is so delicious, everyone in your family will love it and friends will all want the recipe. Buttery spaghetti noodles covered in savory tomato sauce, lots of gooey hot cheese and topped with pepperoni. So easy with amazing flavor.
- 7 oz. dry spaghetti noodles
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce (Prego, Ragu, or your favorite brand)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 3.5 ounces sliced pepperoni
- Heat oven to 350º
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions
- Return spaghetti to the saucepan, combine with butter, parmesan cheese, and eggs until well mixed.
- Spoon into greased 9 x 13 pan.
- In skillet, brown ground beef and onion.
- Spoon meat over spaghetti.
- Spread spaghetti sauce over pasta and meat.
- Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange pepperoni slices over cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting
This Spaghetti Pie is perfect for family gatherings, pot-lucks or for sharing with a family in need. Be ready to share the recipe.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 333Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 525mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 24g
Savory Shepherd’s Pie-
Shepherd’s Pie ( yes, it is spelled correctly) is frosted with mashed potatoes and melted cheese, so you will want a big piece.
Technically I guess if you make this pie wit ground beef as I do, it is called Cottage Pie, but my most people don’t know that, so I’m sticking with Shephard’s Pie.
True Shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb, so if you are adventurous or Irish have at it.
Sheperd's Pie is the perfect comfort food at our house. Rich tasty gravy surrounds beef and vegetables, frosted with creamy mashed potatoes and cheese. What's not to love? We enjoy having leftovers for the next day, so I make a large pan. After trying several variations, I have my own easy and delicious recipe everyone will want. Homemade is so easy!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 pkg McCormick Brown Gravy
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp Worcheshire Sauce
- 3 lbs russet potatoes ( 7 cups mashed potatoes)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- Half-n-Half (about 1/2 cup)
- 2- 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, corn, peas, carrots)
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 350º
Make the Meat Filling
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan.
- Add chopped onion until translucent ( about 5 minutes)
- Add garlic, Worcheshire Sauce, gravy mix, water
- Mix in the vegetables.
- Simmer on very low stirring occasionally.
Make Mashed Potato and Cheese Topping
- Peel and cut-up potatoes
- In a large pot cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender.
( 10-15 min) Drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Add butter, half-half, salt & pepper. Mash with an electric mixer.
Assemble Pie and Bake
1. Pour meat mixture in a 9x13 pan
2. Frost the meat and vegetables with the mashed potatoes
3. Sprinkle potatoes with Cheddar cheese.
4. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and gravy is bubbly
5. Let stand 10 minutes before serving
Secret Tip: If you don't have time to cook potatoes, try 3 packages of instant Idahoan Potatoes - Super delicious.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 475Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 522mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 33g
Here is another thing that make my three pies such a delicious dinner option, you can make your own modifications so easy.
Feel free to make all dinner pies ahead of time and bake later, especially spaghetti pie.
Think about adding more spice with peppers, more cheese, or fresh herbs. Have fun experimenting with your familiy’s favorite flavors.
I know not everyone does, but our family loves leftovers. So that is why I always make the bigger pan when making my dinner pies.
Of course, there are always ways to make savory pies a little more healthy. Don’t hesitate to use ground turkey or low-fat cheeses.
What a treat it is to scoop a piece into a Pyrex container to heat in the microwave at work or at home on the weekend.
The reason to use Pyrex containers or something similar is that you can safely microwave your lunch in glass instead of plastic.
Please let me know in the comments which dinner comfort food pie your family liked the best.
I also would appreciate hearing about your own modifications.
Pin HERE to Save for Later
You will also want to try:
You Can Stuff Your Own Buns with 7 Easy Recipes
What Do You Need to Create an Amazing Macaroni & Cheese Bar
10 Best Slider Recipes on My List
10 Most Delicious Foil-Packet Dinners