Time alone? Just for me? What should you do?
When was the last time you spent some quality time with the most important person in your life?
Yep, I’m talking about taking some time for yourself or doing the things you want to do but never have time for.
Be honest, when you read that question, did you start to think,
“I don’t have time for that!”
Or did you feel guilty because you could be spending your time getting a chore done, or doing something for someone else?
(This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.)
Truth be told, spending time with yourself is not selfish.
In fact, it’s totally good for you. You’ll be far more successful at the other things you NEED to do if you take some “me” time every day.
Today, I am sharing some ideas and tips you can use to maximize your “me time”, and put them on your list. (I use Notes and Reminders from Apple for my Lists)
Don’t misunderstand, I am not a selfish person, far from it, and I am all for helping others.
I am a mom and would drop everything to walk on water for my children every day if they needed me.
You have probably heard a million times that being around other people is critical to well-being. All true.
Actually, science has proven time and time again that people who have relationships with others and are social are happier in their lives. So we are on the same page here.
Okay, let’s put all of that on the back burner for a while, and get back to talking about you.
What Are You Going to Do When You Have Time Alone?
I would not be surprised if you told me, it’s been so long since you planned your own time, you don’t even know where to start!
Well like most projects, you make a list and then prioritize the list to make it personal.
So not wanting to drive you crazy with random thoughts, I’ve organized some categories for you to skim through and choose what seems most interesting for you.
Remember, as I have said in several other posts if you don’t plan your time someone else will.
Something Relaxing & Peaceful
Doing something just for fun doesn’t mean you are wasting your time.
Truth is, you may find yourself having fun or challenging yourself to think hard, which is a good thing, right?
I will admit, for me, there are things on this list I truly find relaxing.
- Do a Jigsaw Puzzle OR Paint By Number. Seriously, how relaxing.
- Treat yourself to a Netflix or Amazon Prime Video marathon ( the list of new shows is crazy)
- Play solitaire
- Maybe consider Diffusing some essential oils while listening to music.
If you’re interested, I included the link for the one I bought.
- I’m sure you’ll agree, reading good books is never a waste of time.
- Seriously, when was the last time you read a good mystery?
You can take a peek at the books on the Best Seller’s List on Amazon that are FREE with a Kindle membership.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- So, how about adult coloring to relieve stress.
Check out the choices at
21 Adult Coloring Books That’ll Make All Your Work Stress Go Away. from the Muse
Take a power nap! Now let me tell you, that is a great way to spend your time!
Eat Something Delicious
Who doesn’t look forward to eating a delicious meal?
I am just curious, do you like to cook but keep making the same old stuff?
Every once in a while, it is fun to cook something totally new.
Maybe this is your time to experiment with a recipe you would normally consider quite challenging, instead of the easy throw it into one pan weeknight dinner.
- Or just maybe you are hungry for some Comfort Food? Pie for Dinner.
- Got chocolate? If not, it’s an excellent time to indulge, but my advice is to buy the very best.
- Splurge on going to a restaurant you have never been to.
- Order takeout just for you, don’t forget the wine. Believe it or not, this is a favorite of mine.
Organize Your Tech (Digitally Organize)
- I’m just guessing, but you probably never have time for Decluttering Your Phone. You will save space, battery life, and your phone will be more efficient.
- You can learn how to Edit your photos with iPhones New Tools– Easy!
- Get tips on how to take better pictures with your iPhone.
Honestly, putting these tips together along with learning to edit your own photos can be a lot of fun!
- Make your favorite pictures and videos into a slideshow.
Your family will be super impressed. To really kick it up, go ahead and add background music too.
• Learn how to make Google Calendar work for you!
- Now is the perfect time to Scan and Preserve Your Photos to make them digital. Once you are done with your albums and boxes of photos, start walking around the house and look for framed pictures that need scanning.
- Organize your boards on Pinterest.
If you are like me, your Pinterest boards and pins are totally out of hand.
First, put your boards in order and clean out pins you know you are not going to use.
- I’m totally serious when I say, Google your heart out.
I love spending time researching new things and reading reviews.
I especially like new gadgets and Smart Home stuff. It’s free.
Get Your Home & Life Organized
- Learning how to Organize You Life Using Apple Notes or be organized every day by setting up Apple’s Reminder App is a great way to spend time alone.
I honestly use both faithfully every day to stay organized.
Both apps are a list maker’s dream.
You have time to play around with new apps, you have time.
- Creating a Digital Home Inventory is well worth your time. There is a digital template all ready for you to use and make it your own.
- If you have been putting off decluttering your home, just start small. Believe me, Decluttering and Organizing Your Home can be pretty stress-free if have a good plan and take your time.
Learn Something New
Some people would label this as Personal Growth. Okay.
I think of it as doing something that stretches your mind a bit or doing something you have always wanted to try but just haven’t had the chance yet.
- Believe me, there is a Youtube video for literally anything you want to learn- do some searching on an interest you have and give it a try.
- Visit a museum or art gallery. You can do it right from your couch with a cup of coffee, Try a virtual tour:
- Head to Paris to visit The Louvre
- Enjoy visiting one of the great structures of the world, The Great Wall of China.
- Go to the Smithsonian and visit the National Museum of Natural History.
- Check out the Google Arts & Culture that offers tours of museums from all around the world.
Love the Outdoors?
I agree there is nothing like fresh air and hopefully a little sun to relax.
- Take a walk and pay attention to all the sounds and smells around you.
This certainly isn’t a new idea, but what if you don’t feel like walking?
Just go outside and stand there for 5 minutes and enjoy the feel of the breeze on your face.
Pay attention to how the breeze feels on your face, and what do you hear or smell.
- Go for a bike ride.
- If you can plant a small garden outside, that is awesome.
But if you like the idea of growing things with an indoor garden, the choices are endless. Check out some options here.
- Visit a park and just sit on the bench, maybe bring a book.
Get the Things to Do With Myself Guide
Chances are your to-do list is very long every day, and you don’t even think of adding something you love to do until you finish everything else
The secret is to actually schedule a time for yourself during the day, don’t leave Me time until you have everything else done on your schedule!
I hope this post has given you at least a short-list of things you can do when you want to spend some time on things you would love to do.
Don’t forget to download the free worksheet and start your own list.
You owe it to yourself to set aside some time just for you.