Is it Kabobs or Skewers? I don’t know.
Whatever you call it, the impressive meals you can put on a stick are endless.
We like to entertain, but I don’t like to be stuck in the kitchen the whole time and not enjoying the company and conversations.
A Build Your Own Kabab Party lets you do almost everything before your company arrives, freeing you up to have fun too.
(This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.)
Another great thing about having a Build Your Own Kabob Party is that you don’t have to worry about everyone’s food preferences. Kabobs can be gluten-free, low-carb and meatless. Everyone has fun making the “perfect kabob” and can easily make more than one combination to enjoy or share. I can even serve mushrooms and not have to eat even one.
Side dishes? No worries there. You already have vegetables, appetizers and dessert done!
To get started you are going to need LISTS of course.
- Menu List
- Cooking Equipment List
- Preparation List
- Grocery List- I’ll Get You Started
Let’s start with the menu list. The possibilities are endless of course, but here is a list to get you started.
Menu List for Build Your Own Kabobs
Marinated Meats Vegetables Appetizers Dessert
(Tenderloin or Sirloin)
Peppers, Onions Caprese Skewers Fresh Fruit Skewers
Shrimp (Jumbo) Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes Antipasto Skewers Strawberry Shortcake with a Twist of Chocolate Skewers
Chicken (Boneless Breasts & Thighs) Cooked Baby Potatoes, Zucchini Finger Foods Cookies
Cooking Equipment List
Some things to think about here are:
- How will you keep flies off the food?
- How will you keep the food cold?
- Are you using sturdy paper plates or your own dishes?
Step 1: 2-Weeks Before the Party
You Will Need:
- A Grill!
- Skewers: Bamboo or Metal.
- Pyrex Bowls or clear bowls with covers
- Oven Mitts
- Silverware( not cheap plastic)
- Clean cutting boards
- Inflatable serving bar. WHAT? Look at this inflatable food table o keep food cold for a party!
- The pyrex will be to hold all the meats & vegetables.
- Have a tong for each bowl. Tongs work well for adding foods to skewers.
- Cut the meats on different cutting boards than the vegetables.
- Have a container of Clorox wipes to wipe hands if needed.
Preparation List – Party Day
Step 2: Early Afternoon
- If using bamboo skewers place them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble 2 appetizer kabobs & 2 dessert Kabobs. ( you can assemble them later, but be ready). Keep in the refrigerator. Recipes for all appetizers and desserts below.
Skewer fresh Mozzarella Pearls with a fresh leaf of basil and a cherry tomato. Arrange skewers on platter and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar
These delicious skewers are kind of like a Charcuterie Board on a stick!!
You can really add and subtract ingredients you like. This is an appetizer that really has the “love or hate” foods. Notice, mine does not include mushrooms.
- 2 c. marinated artichoke hearts
- 10 oz cheese tortellini cooked and chilled. Mix with 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- Marinated mozzarella pearls
- Grape tomatoes
- Basil or spinach leaves
- Green olives
- Kalamata olives
Thread your favorite sliced fruits. Some good choices include strawberries, kiwi, cantaloupe, bananas, pineapple, blueberries, pineapple or grapes.
Strawberry Shortcake with a Twist of Chocolate:
Alternate Angel Food cake cut into chunks with fresh strawberries on a short skewer. Drizzle with melted chocolate. EASY!
Feel free. To throw a slice of brownie into the mix.
Step 3: Mid Afternoon
- Prepare Marinades and refrigerate
- Cut meats into 1-inch pieces
- Cook baby sized potatoes until tender
- Cut peppers, onions, zucchini in 1-inch chunks
Put meats and vegetables all in their own ziplock bags. Add marinade to meats for at least 1 hour before the party.
- Transfer foods from baggies to pyrex bowls
- Serve your cold meat and shrimp in this inflatable serving table!
- When guests arrive, bring out appetizer kabobs and snacks.
- Keep food covered until kabob assembly begins.
- Have fun!
Ready for more entertaining? Try: